Both Sides Now: The Story of a Kiwi Friendship - Graham Hutchins
- Prices are in NZD
- See description below for additional condition information
- Image of actual product
Guarantee safe & secure checkout
Used Good Plus, light wear/rubbing/creasing of cover
Dimensions: 135 x 215 x 11mm
Publication Date: 2004
Both Sides Now: The Story of a Kiwi Friendship by Graham Hutchins - Introduction by Nehe Paki
Graham Hutchins and Nehe Paki are mates from way back. They met at primary school in Te Kuiti, hung around the jukebox together in the local milk bar, and later both played rugby for their school's first fifteen. In their spare time they frequented the local State cinema, asked out the same girls, discovered the Beatles and watched Pinetree' Meads inspire their local King Country team. In short, it was a typical Kiwi friendship, and race didn't really come into it.
Much later, however, in 1995, Graham discovered that his friend had always had another life centred on his marae just over the hill from where Graham lived an ordinary Pakeha existence with his family. The realisation of the importance of Nehe's heritage has enriched their friendship, and brought Graham to a deeper understanding of his mate's culture.
Both Sides Now is a delightful account of growing up in small-town New Zealand in the 1950s and '60s, and is also a tribute to a friendship between Maori and Pakeha that has endured for more than fifty years. It is a story that many New Zealanders will recognise and enjoy.
Books are assessed and graded as follows, although descriptions can be subjective.
Please note that these are secondhand books so please ask if you have any additional questions about the condition of a particular book or if you would like more photos.
- New: Brand new and unread.
- Like New: Almost as new, may look unread and in near perfect condition. May show traces of handling or use. Any defects noted.
- Very Good: A copy that has been read, showing some modest signs of wear; blemishing; (scuffs, nicks, creasing, fading, small stains, small DJ tears, previous owner's name). Still in excellent condition for a used book. Any major defects noted.
- Good: A previously read copy, showing signs of wear and tear consistent with age and use, but has all pages present. May have fading, soiling, tears, scuffs, nicks, heavy creasing, underlining, highlighting, DJ with chips/tears. Any major defects noted, other minor defects may not be noted.
- Acceptable/Fair: A book with significant wear & faults, still a reading copy with full text still readable, may lack endpapers. Any major defects noted.
- Poor: Much use & sufficiently worn and/or soiled, stained, may have loose joints, hinges or pages. These are books that have been saved from being sent to the landfill.
All book measurements are approximate
Tanning - age tanning or browning/yellowing occurs over time on the pages of books, tanning tends to start on the outside of the pages and progresses inward over time, often creating a brownish or yellowish border around the page edges.
Foxed / Foxing - age-related brown or brown-yellowish spotting of the paper caused by a chemical reaction over time.
Sunned - damage done to a book cover or dust jacket caused by exposure to direct sunlight.
Closed Tear - indicates a torn page in which no material has been lost. A closed tear can be pressed back into place or sometimes fixed with archival repair tape.
Ex-library – the book was once owned by, and circulated in, a public library. This book could well be in any of the above general categories but more often than not has been well used. May have library stickers, stamps, or markings.