High Adventure - Edmund Hillary
- Prices are in NZD
- See description below for additional condition information
- Image of actual product
Guarantee safe & secure checkout
Used Very Good, some creases on cover/spine
Dimensions - 140 x 208 x 18mm
Publication Date: 2003 (50th Anniversary Edition)
High Adventure by Edmund Hillary
Reprinted on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the conquering of Everest, this is the authoritative first-person account of Hillary and Tenzing's conquest. "High Adventure" is regarded as a mountaineering classic, but it is also a thrilling and inspiring story of courage and endurance.
First Published in 1955.
Here is how Hillary describes the great moment in High Adventure: "It seemed difficult at first to grasp that we'd got there. I was too tired and too conscious of the long way down to safety really to feel any great elation. But as the fact of our success thrust itself more clearly into my mind, I felt a quiet glow of satisfaction spread through my body - a satisfaction less vociferous but more powerful than I had ever felt on a mountain top before. I turned and looked at Tenzing. Even beneath his oxygen mask and the icicles hanging from his hair, I could see his infectious grin of sheer delight. I held out my hand, and in silence we shook in good Anglo-Saxon fashion. But this was not enough for Tenzing, and impulsively he threw his arm around my shoulders and we thumped each other on the back in mutual congratulations."
Books are assessed and graded as follows, although descriptions can be subjective.
Please note that these are secondhand books so please ask if you have any additional questions about the condition of a particular book or if you would like more photos.
- New: Brand new and unread.
- Like New: Almost as new, may look unread and in near perfect condition. May show traces of handling or use. Any defects noted.
- Very Good: A copy that has been read, showing some modest signs of wear; blemishing; (scuffs, nicks, creasing, fading, small stains, small DJ tears, previous owner's name). Still in excellent condition for a used book. Any major defects noted.
- Good: A previously read copy, showing signs of wear and tear consistent with age and use, but has all pages present. May have fading, soiling, tears, scuffs, nicks, heavy creasing, underlining, highlighting, DJ with chips/tears. Any major defects noted, other minor defects may not be noted.
- Acceptable/Fair: A book with significant wear & faults, still a reading copy with full text still readable, may lack endpapers. Any major defects noted.
- Poor: Much use & sufficiently worn and/or soiled, stained, may have loose joints, hinges or pages. These are books that have been saved from being sent to the landfill.
All book measurements are approximate
Tanning - age tanning or browning/yellowing occurs over time on the pages of books, tanning tends to start on the outside of the pages and progresses inward over time, often creating a brownish or yellowish border around the page edges.
Foxed / Foxing - age-related brown or brown-yellowish spotting of the paper caused by a chemical reaction over time.
Sunned - damage done to a book cover or dust jacket caused by exposure to direct sunlight.
Closed Tear - indicates a torn page in which no material has been lost. A closed tear can be pressed back into place or sometimes fixed with archival repair tape.
Ex-library – the book was once owned by, and circulated in, a public library. This book could well be in any of the above general categories but more often than not has been well used. May have library stickers, stamps, or markings.