Wrestling With The Angel: A Life Of Janet Frame - Michael King
- Prices are in NZD
- See description below for additional condition information
- Image of actual product
Guarantee safe & secure checkout
Used Very Good
Dimensions: 153 x 230 x 45mm
Publication Date: 2001
This is a beautifully written biography of the talented, reclusive Janet Frame. Janet Frame, born in 1924, came to international attention through her poignant and beautifully written autobiographical series, An Angel at my Table. New Zealand's most celebrated yet most reclusive author, her early life makes tragic reading: one brother still-born, another epileptic; two sisters dead of heart failure; Frame herself committed to mental hospitals for the best part of a decade. All this and more propelled Frame into a state of intense depression and suffering. King's inspiring biography tells the story of a woman who climbed out of an abyss of overwhelming unhappiness to take control of her life and become one of the great writers of her time. With unprecedented access to Frame's personal papers and to the woman herself, Michael King has fashioned a biography of astonishing intimacy and frankness. That Frame has previously been known above all else for her reticence makes this achievement all the more remarkable.
Books are assessed and graded as follows, although descriptions can be subjective.
Please note that these are secondhand books so please ask if you have any additional questions about the condition of a particular book or if you would like more photos.
- New: Brand new and unread.
- Like New: Almost as new, may look unread and in near perfect condition. May show traces of handling or use. Any defects noted.
- Very Good: A copy that has been read, showing some modest signs of wear; blemishing; (scuffs, nicks, creasing, fading, small stains, small DJ tears, previous owner's name). Still in excellent condition for a used book. Any major defects noted.
- Good: A previously read copy, showing signs of wear and tear consistent with age and use, but has all pages present. May have fading, soiling, tears, scuffs, nicks, heavy creasing, underlining, highlighting, DJ with chips/tears. Any major defects noted, other minor defects may not be noted.
- Acceptable/Fair: A book with significant wear & faults, still a reading copy with full text still readable, may lack endpapers. Any major defects noted.
- Poor: Much use & sufficiently worn and/or soiled, stained, may have loose joints, hinges or pages. These are books that have been saved from being sent to the landfill.
All book measurements are approximate
Tanning - age tanning or browning/yellowing occurs over time on the pages of books, tanning tends to start on the outside of the pages and progresses inward over time, often creating a brownish or yellowish border around the page edges.
Foxed / Foxing - age-related brown or brown-yellowish spotting of the paper caused by a chemical reaction over time.
Sunned - damage done to a book cover or dust jacket caused by exposure to direct sunlight.
Closed Tear - indicates a torn page in which no material has been lost. A closed tear can be pressed back into place or sometimes fixed with archival repair tape.
Ex-library – the book was once owned by, and circulated in, a public library. This book could well be in any of the above general categories but more often than not has been well used. May have library stickers, stamps, or markings.